Thursday, March 28, 2013

Beyond Limits Ultra Race Report


BLU was super fun! I did 50 miles, so I had 112 miles for the week. The race was really nice because we slept in cabins right next to the course. The course was pretty nice too because it was flat and was only 1.78 miles long so you were far from the aid station.

I was signed up for the marathon, but Ken, the race director said I could do more miles. The day before the race I was feeling pretty confident that I could do 100 miles, but what I didn't realize is that my body was still recovering from the 100k the week before.

When the race started I was feeling really good. I had some minor pain in my shoulder, but it didn't last long. Since my Mom was still sore from her 100 miler the weekend before and couldn't really run, she decided to walk. Trust me though,  it is a really fast walk! I spent a lot of time early in the race with my dad because he felt good and we ran a lot. As the miles went by I started hurting. The pain just got worse but I was determined to get at least 50 miles. When I hit about mile 30 I found out that my friend Matt who is 13 and was doing his first marathon won his age division, this made me feel pretty good.

When I reached about mile 40 I had this really bad side stitch that wouldn't go away so I walked to mile 44. Since it wouldn't stop I laid down for a while. After several hours, I woke up and the pain was gone, so I put my running gear back on and went out to find my parents. Honestly they looked really bad, so I decided to walk with them. The last six miles were pretty nice because I didn't really have any pain and I was with my Mom and Dad.

Although my original goal was 100 miles, I was pretty happy with 50 miles considering that I did my 100K the weekend before. During the race I was a little bit disappointed that I didn't get 100 miles, but there is always next time!

Overall BLU was a great race and I would recommend it for your first ultra distance because the race directors, course, and volunteers were amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment